Monday, June 19, 2006

Gear Planning

We are trying to figure out what we need to get -- buy, borrow, or steal for our trip. As the good little planner I have a spreadsheet to cover the food to manage price, weight and caloric content. I also have a spreadsheet to list all of the individual, group, and optional gear based on whether it must be purchased or if I can borrow it from the other part-time adventurers that feel good with the idea that if they can't get away to the wild that their gear can still go.

The goal is to minimize weight while maximizing comfort. For example, last year I went with the very lowest (or should I say flattest) of the low sleeping pad. From a weight perspective I was doing well (I think I saved about 11 oz). However, as I never really got into a deep sleep, I think that the energy I saved was easily sucked out of me. I still have a pine root imprint on my left shoulder blade.

The first time that I went out backpacking, I really had no idea what I was doing. To put it in perspective, the first time I went out -- I wouldn't sit on the ground because I didn't want to get dirty. I brought a complete change of clothes (cotton) for each day. My pack, for a two-night outing, weighed 68 pounds.

I now work to get my backpack closer to 30-35 pounds tops for a week outing. Some of it is going minimal with the gear. In the backpacking world, the weight is inversely proportional to the dollars. For instance, my birthday present this year (August 20 for those wanting to send gifts) was a $320 10 degree sleeping bag that only weighs 1 pound 4 ounces and packs smaller than a bread loaf. By comparison, by last bag -- 20 degrees, $100, 3 1/2 pounds and the size of a large microwave.

Individual Gear:
Midweight Hiking Boots - Sandals/Tivas - Sock Liners (3 Pair) - Hiking/Socks (3 Pair) - Pants (Convertible?) - Shorts - Underwear - Thermal (Midweight) Bottoms - Thermal (Midweight) Top - Non-Cotton Shirt (2) - Long Sleeve Shirt - Fleece Jacket - Rain Pants - Rain/Med Coat - Hat - Sleeping Hat - Light Gloves - Trekking Poles - Backpack - Sleeping Bag (20F or Lower) - Toiletries - Bags - Sleeping Pad - Knife - Headlamp/Flashlight - Whistle - Caribiner/Rope - Wristwatch - Nalgene Bottles (2) - Mug

Optional Items
Backpack Cover - Bladder/Platypus - Gaitors - Luxury Item - Sunglasses - Camera - Binoculars - Fishing Gear

Group Items
Two Man Tent (2) - Ground Cloth (2) - Stove - Gas Canisters (2) - Lighter (2) -
Water Filter (2) - First Aid Kit - Repair Kit - Map - Compass - Sunscreen - Toothpaste - Cooking Pot - Utensils - Emergency Blanket - Sanitizer - Dish Soap - Freezer Bags - Toilet Paper - Food - Energy Drinks - Tea

Q/A from the list (less than 24 hours later)
1. Shorts? Sleeping not so much as wandering around camp. The thermals really aren't all that water resistant -- and the only place to sit is the ground or a log, both of which are usually some kind of damp. Optional in ounce counting, recommended for comfort.

2. Hats? I burn easily, so I recommend a waterproof cowboy style hat to protect the neck and ears from burning. However, for the first 5-6years of hiking -- I just wore a baseball cap. My first trip to Yellowstone I had to tuck a bandana into a baseball cap because my neck and ears got so sunburned the blisters were peeling. This memorable lesson made me rate dorky hat over cool hat. (This, and the realization that everyone was looking at the scenery and not me. Besides the fact that the smell alone would drive anyone away from me.)http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=69&parent_category_rn=5227674&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC For the night, 80% of your body heat goes out of your head, so sleeping in cold temps requires a good hat that will keep you warmer. This is like a toboggan or knit hat for winter. I have a lightweight black fleece hat that makes me feel like a rapper. Word.

3. Bags? You won't want to just throw your gear in your pack in a disorganized way-- so you will have a bag (compression) to smash your clothes in, a bag for your sleeping bag (if it didn't come with one) etc... I have a few extra.http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4500447&vcat=REI_SEARCH:C

4. Air mattress? You could I guess, but not recommended. Check weight and make sure that if it rips we can repair. Roll/Stuff into a gear bag will help. I have a great really lightweight flat one that you can borrow (see note above).

5. Knife? Any kind -- a multi-tool or swiss army is nice. But we won't need it for too much other than to clean all the fish we catch. (insert skeptical cough here)

6. LED Light? I like them. We aren't hiking at night, so enough to find the bathroom (read: nearby tree) or to enjoy a book in the tent is good. LED is good as it has limitedweight, long life.

7. Whistle? Scott (our expert friend and former wilderness guide) will make fun of this one -- but it is a safety thing if we get separated and lost. Actually -- everyone makes fun of this -- but please note that I didn't require bear bells, pepper spray or boat flares. Allow me my little piece of obsessive compulsive boy scout safety.

8. Shared rope? Nope, each of us have some. Given a thin rope (harder to pull significant weight) and larger group, individual food/clothing bags are easier to manage. I will have rope and caribiner for each, but may need to pick up some slight extra.

9. Nalgene Bottles? Nalgene Bottles are indestructible (mostly) and the water filter conveniently screws into the top. Not required, but you will need to carry about 64 oz ofwater in bottles separate from your bladder. I have a bunch and can loan -- but you see them everywhere in stores.http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?topStyles=664604%2C729143%2C720282%2C703207%2C719867%2C712330&noalias=1&brand=Nalgene&stat=7889&topStylesTitle=best+sellers+for+nalgene&langId=-1&orig=nalgene&storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SEARCH

10. Bladder? Like a Camelback without the backpack.

11. Share the Binoculars? I don't take them because either they are heavy or aren't powerful enough to justify themselves, but if someone wants to carry them they are more than welcome. Sharing is usually encouraged.

12. GPS Unit? I have never taken one, but it should be interesting. I think that you can download the park and we can chart progress.

No comments: