Sunday, June 11, 2006

Next Trip - Glacier

We are now planning for the next trip backpacking in Glacier at the end of August. I am taking 3 guys who have never been (I have spent almost 5 weeks over the last two years). There lies my only advantage as it turns out all them have a very bad habit of exercising on a more regular basis than annual backpacking trips. One of them hikes and the other two, based on fitness level, could probably carry me in their packs if need be.

I am trying to work out with Nicole's schedule where she can meet us out there either before or after the guy trip as they each can only go for a week and I have 3 non-committed weeks of vacation to burn.

My first choice of trip is out due to the timeframe (we can only go 4 nights backcountry) and reservations. The trip planning is fun in that the number of campsites is limited and they only reserve 1/2 of them prior to your arrival. Therefore you always have a full trip that you plan -- but then you completely change it when you get there. Last year we did that only to have to settle for a bit more mileage/elevation change than I like... It resulted in a bunch of "I told you so" moments, but was a great time. The conversation generally will run "Well I can get you to that campsite, but you have to hike 12 miles uphill that day and then..."

This year, for the reserved trip, I am aiming for the southeast corner of the park that we were not able to make last year. To keep it interesting we are going to hike across the entire park which will include a climb over the Continental Divide. The main campsite I was hoping to use is closed for Grizzly activity, which is a bit scary, but now we have a short hike day at a great fishing location (which was a request from two of the guys.)

More to come soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like an exciting trip! This is located in Montana I see....I can't wait to hear more about it. I'm glad to hear your other trip went well. Your chicen feet story with Andy Ward was hilarious! By the way, how do you say chicken feet in Mandarin? Barb Mullins

Matt said...

sinjian is duck feet and Sin Jian is waitress... lol.