Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Break a Toe

I don't have a lot exciting to say -- only that I broke my toe this morning on a chair in the hotel. It has turned a lovely shade of black.

The only other point of interest today was the conversation Coby had at lunch today where he was trying to get a plain hamburger at the Burger King. He had mastered the technique in many languages, but had yet to learn the German version.

In French -- au naturel...
In Spanish -- se nada...
In English -- just the meat and bun and don't make me come over there.

In German, it was much more difficult. We spent the entire car ride over there in a "Who's on First?" scenaraio.

Coby: How you order a burger with just the meat and bun
Friend: So you want it medium? (say meat and bun out loud, it sounds like medium)
Coby: Yes, that is right, just meat and bun
Friend: Well, I guess you could just say "Medium" for the cooking. I have never ordered it this way...
Me (figuring out what is going on): So to say "No Lettuce, no tomato, no sauce, etc..." we would say "Medium"?
Friend: Oh, so you just want the burger?
Coby: Yes -- and the bun
Friend: And the Cheese?
Coby: No, just the meat and the bread
Friend: What about the sauce?
Coby: No, no sauce
Friend: Really -- no sauce, no cheese?
Coby: Yes, I am picky
Friend (in good German manner): But they will still charge you for it
Coby: I know, I just want the meat and the bun
Friend: I don't know if you can order it this way
Coby: No, I know I can -- I may just need your help.

Coby: Guten Tag! Sprechen sie Anglische? (Hi, do you speak English?)
BK Fraulein: Nein
Coby: Um, Help
Friend: (In German): He only wants the burger and the meat

...long conversation which is a repeat of the above...

Friend: So I guess you would say to them "Plain"

2 comments:

foxtwin said...

hilarious!

Anonymous said...

You get the toe thing sooooo naturally. L & I miss you...ya world traveler,ya.

Oh...and...

"Cue the deer."

Guess who!