Monday, May 19, 2008

British Checklist

I arrived in the very green and very beautiful Henley on the Thames. This is English countryside at the finest.

I go into the bed and breakfast -- the Falaise House, very nice. I am welcomed (by name) by the hostess and given a choice of rooms. I take the one with the shower versus the bath -- and she keeps suggesting the bigger room given the size of my one suitcase. She keeps calling me "My Love" and "My Dear" -- and I am feeling very British.

So, off I go to be British.

Item 1: Food
I wander over to find a pub. The issue seems to be not to find a pub, but to figure out which one to go to... My driver had explained the differences between pubs and free houses, but didn't have one to suggest. Therefore, without anything better to go on, I went to the Argyle pub because while I knew nothing about their food -- they make good socks.

I sat at the table patiently, which is a bit troublesome when you are traveling alone as I feel like I am a stalker in training. You just can't help but watch people and also feel like they are watching you. The waiter finally notices me and let's me know that you order at the bar. Ah...

I order the fish and chips because that is what you do. It came with peas. Check

Item 2: Ale
Room Temperature. Check. Non-carbonated. Check.

Item 3: Tea
I wandered around downtown and saw that the local church was offereing tea. I stopped by and chose a little cake (a heavy orange cake with raisins and cherries) and tea. I was not sure how much a "spot of tea" was so I had two cups.

So within 4 hours of landing -- I think that I have done it all.

I did attend a choir event at the church which was only built in 1204. I misread the event and actually attended Catholic mass. Unintentional, but if anyone in the family is reading this, please tell my mother I went to church this Sunday.

I was having trouble keeping awake after the time change, but a Catholic mass never lets you sit, stand or kneel long enough to fall asleep.

I went to bed at a very late 8 p.m.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

LOL. So proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Need to try the jelly babies, though my british friend says that it isn't right to bite the heads off first. I find it quite satisfying to eat the heads first. Let me know what you think. yls

Matt said...

I will look for them, thanks... I usually smash gummi bears together and eat them that way, so I don't feel much of a moral dilemna to go a little crazy with the jelly babies. ;-)